Monday 24 February 2014

Meeting Bob pt.2 - Hospital

Arriving at the Medical Assessment Unit at about 9.30pm, I felt terrified as nurses recorded observations, did more ECGs, fitted cannulas and hooked me up to a cardiac monitor above my bed. Left alone at the end of the barrage of tests and questions, my mind was reeling – just 24 hours ago, I was leading a normal life. I had spent much of my childhood in and out of hospital because I was born with a cleft lip and palate. After 12 operations and countless outpatient appointments, I was no stranger to hospital. But the difference was that before, it was easier to deal with because I was used to the routine. But this was a whole new entity – a cardiac problem at the age of 20? How? I tried not to dwell on the ‘what if?’s and ‘why me?’s. My dad and I had agreed not to tell my mum on holiday, so she returned to the news that I now had a heart condition. Ta-dah!


The doctors rounds at 9.30am answered some of my questions, allayed some of my fears. The reason I blacked out was because my heart rate was much lower than normal. A normal heart has four chambers – the atria at the top, the ventricles at the bottom. In a normal heart, the atria send a signal to the ventricles. This stimulates the heart to beat, which pumps blood around the body. Our pulse is normally 60-100bpm. Some physically fit people have a pulse of around 35bpm at rest. But ECGs showed that my pulse was as low as 30bpm at rest. As a result, blood wasn’t pumping enough oxygen around my body. This lack of oxygen made my brain start to shut down , which caused me to feel dizzy and lose consciousness. The doctors tried to work out what was causing the heart block. The only plausible explanation was that the propranolol that I was prescribed to prevent migraines. Heart block is a rare complication of propranolol, so I was immediately taken off it. I was moved to the cardiac ward for further tests and observation. My heart rate improved to about 50bpm, which was positive but not perfect. By Monday I had improved enough to be discharged, with strict instructions to rest. 



TO BE CONTINUED…………………………

No comments: