Monday 24 February 2014

Meeting Bob pt3 - Diagnosis

Two days after I was released from hospital, Mum and Dad came with me to a follow-up appointment with Dr Dickinson, a consultant cardiologist. After an ECG and a physical examination, she confirmed the original diagnosis of second degree heart block.

A few weeks later I was fitted with an implanted loop recorder (ILR) in a short, relatively painless procedure. Fitted under the skin on my chest, and only the size of a pack of chewing gum, the ILR monitored my heart's electrical activity, 24 hours a day. It stored information and wirelessly sent the data to my cardiologist. I also had a 'remote control' that looked like an iPod. If I collapsed or felt dizzy, I just had to press the green button in the middle. The ILR would highlight the abnormal rhythm and send the information straight to my cardiologist who would analyse the results.

Over the next six months I collapsed countless times, was a regular at the local A&E department and had several emergency admissions to the cardiac ward.

In February 2009 I had a follow-up appointment with Dr Dickinson, who dropped a huge bombshell. Recent recordings had revealed that my resting heart rate averaged 30-35bpm, which - unsurprisingly - contributed to my lethargy and blackouts. However, it also revealed that on several occasions in my sleep, my heart stopped for up to 9 seconds. Thankfully it eventually kick-started again. But this was a serious, life-threatening condition. Dr Dickinson went on to say that the only treatment was to fit a pacemaker. Through my research on my symptoms I acknowledged that a pacemaker was a possibility, but I didn't think it would actually happen. Dr D said that I would be her youngest pacemaker patient. By then I had celebrated my 21st birthday.



TO BE CONTINUED....................

No comments: