Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Magic Box

In 1995, when I was 7, I wrote a poem for school. The teacher liked it so much she entered it in a competition, The 1066 Poetry Competition. I went to the awards ceremony with my dad and brother, but it didn't seem like I was going to get a prize. I remember my dad saying "Never mind, it's the taking part that counts," as the runner-up was announced. But..."And the first prize goes to...Emma Royston!" We were all very surprised! Here it is, see if you like it.


The Magic Box

I will put in the box the moon and the stars
I will put in the box the dogs and the cats
I will put in the box the Earth and Dunkirk
I will put in the box my wine and you
I will put in the box a volcano erupting
and some people running out of their houses
To be safe from danger
And a little volcano which is extinct.

I will put in the box my blood and my heart
I will put in the box a dress of silk
That will gleam and shine for two thousand years
I will put in the box a sack of smugglers' gold
That will last a lifetime
I will put in the box a little old lady
Aged seventy four who will never die
I will put in the box a story
From beginning to end.


Not bad for a seven year old, eh?

No comments: